Re: Season extension - growing sub-tropical species in temperate climates

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Season extension - growing sub-tropical species in temperate climates
  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:50:01 -0500

At 09:12 AM 11/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all.  My name is Vijay Cuddeford, and I am working for the city of
>Toronto to assess the feasibility of growing sub-tropical food species in
>the city, using simple season extension techniques.  "Simple' being

A helpful book with this is Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest.  The way
he shows
how to do this is to grow cool season vegetables to full size by mid fall
and then
to keep them covered with 2 layers of tunnels to keep them fresh and ready
in the
garden until needed for harvest.  It's important only to go and harvest when
the vegetables are in a thawed state which might be mid day plus or minus a
few hours when the weather is really cold.  He also has a more detailed
book aimed at growers that might be even more helpful, which can be ordered
directly from him(info in his book).

Sharon
gordonse@one.net