Re: (no subject)

  • Subject: Re: [cg] (no subject)
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:38:12 -0600
You can try:   Jason Fligger
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Jason Fligger
Urban Agriculture Coordinator
Hunger Action Coalition of Michigan
JASON.FLIGGER@prodigy.net

Jason organises gardens on the grounds of the beautiful Capuchin monastery
on Mt Elliot in Detroit's bombed-out east side. The double lot is an oassis
of beauty amidst the post-industrial squalor there. The emphasis is lots of
winter-hardy alliums; hardy berries/small fruits; beehives;  tons of
solanums & a strong commitment to vegan composting (no livestock). Jason
also looks after a 6-acre alfalfa field in the city & is building a barn in
the city plus other various & sundry projects.

contact Jason by phone at (313) 865-0926
Home or (313) 965-8117 ext. 27.

The impressive Southfield Senior Citizen Community Gardens is right down 10& 1/2mi Rd from my mom's place in comfortable
Southfield. The knowledgeable & vivacious supervisor named Nora was kind enough to show me around even though
I showed up unannounced. Her energy & enthusiam are infectious. 90 seniors garden their own 400' fenced allotments with
on-site composting, water & mulching materials available. There are some sections planted specifically for donations to food
banks. The rich ethnic mix of northwest Detroit suburbs allows for some sharing of heirloom seeds as well gardening wisdom
between continents as well as generations.The Southfield garden shows what the marriage of public commitment, private
initiative and great volunteers can do. This community allotment garden is REAL well run. they won a John Deere award last
year for excellence.

dhassle1@kent.edu   and   shadowdog@ameritech.net are 2 of the supervisors
       at the southfield seniors community garden project

south Detroit Gardening Angels: Have 300-400 gardeners tending allotment plots. I dont have a
contact for them, but maybe Jason knows somebody there.

Margaret Schott <Margaret.Schott@mail.cc.Trincoll.Edu>@mallorn.com on
11/03/2002 02:10:24 PM

Sent by:    community_garden-admin@mallorn.com