Re: Slow Food

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Slow Food
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:03:46 EST

"Elitism" means in this regard, that folks whose backs are not against the
wall in this financial climate are taking the trouble to try to engineer a
bit of positive social change from above, i.e., "Slow Food."  Lots of good
things happen that way - i.e., national forests and preserves, museums,
performing arts centers and now...Slow Food.  Good on them! I'm not suprised
at the $300 cost of the conference - as conferences go in big cities, that's
cheap.  It's not the effort to cook that's hard, it's the making of time in
an American society that puts its emphasis on economic production instead of
nuturing families.  Remember when one income could support a family? Those of
us with grey hair do.

And I think that the best think we all could do is to relegate the television
to a closet where it's taken out in the same way that we pull out a steam
iron.  It would mean that we would have to make a concerted effort to turn on
the boob tube, even for PBS.

Years back when my son was small and I worked nights as a bartender and my
wife worked days, I cooked alot in our good French enameled cast iron pots.
Never see me with a no stick pan.  I'd cook a chicken for a sit down dinner
on my night off the bones would go into the stock pot the next morning as my
kid was convening with Bert and Earnie. The thanksgiving turkey became the
basis for an evolving pot a feu until April. I even baked bread, kept dough
in the fridge to make impromptu pastries - I loved black peeled bananas
because they made the best banana bread!  Then we became vegetarian, my wife
went back to school, my son got involved in the usual activities of a growing
kid, I went on a 9-5 type schedule and merely surviving in the city became
incrementally more difficult.   Little by little, with all the non-home
activities that started creeping into our lives, we started seeing Chinese
take out containers, quickie stir fries, cheeses,  and pret a porter dishes
from Zabar's and Fairway in our fridge.  Store bought bread ( no hardship in
NYC with our good bakeries) became a way of life.

"Slow Food", what folks like me call cooking,  has become something I do on
fall and winter Saturday afternoons after synagogue and whatever chore that
I've been dragooned into by my wife or community has been satisfied.  I pull
down a large French enamel red cast iron pot, pull out some frozen stock, or
throw in  some Italian Plum tomatoes, some tomato paste and fresh garlic and
dried basil from the garden or puree some squashes or root vegetables from
the garden or whatever we need to do to make a real meal.  The last of the
fresh hot pepper from the garden are going into this Saturday's chili ( with
ground up dried peppers from earlier in the season.)  Finished making our
pesto last week, of which I've frozen some for January and February when
we'll really need a taste of summer.

Maybe we need to have more pot lucks in our gardens, off season pot luck
dinner/fundraisers in the off season.  It's OK that the rich folks have
started this "Slow Food" thing.  Maybe some of us will get off our cans and
not open so many of them.

Bon appetit,
Adam Honigman