Re: Slow Food

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Slow Food
  • From: David Smead smead@amplepower.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:06:26 -0800 (PST)

Adam and others,

I can't tell you much about fast foods, having never eaten Macdonald's
fare, and only once at Wendys, and I don't know much of anything about the
`Slow Food' movement. But it could shine some light on wholesome food, and
maybe even convince the `elitist' that time spent on food production and
preparation is time well spent.

I tell people that I learned to cook out of self-defense, and there's more
truth to that than people realize.  Only when you cook something yourself
do you really know what the ingredients are.

But slow is a bad word, unless it implies `slowly eaten' in which case
it's good.  But many foods that take a long time to reach the right
texture and flavor, like pea soup, are very quick to prepare.  In fact,
many wholesome meals can be made in the time it would take to drive to a
fast foods place to pick up, and that's something more people need to
know.  The problem is, people shop in the aisle with all the `convenience'
semi-prepared foods, when they should be shopping in the fresh organic
section, if they aren't growing their own.

But all this talk about food has made me hungry.  I'm going to throw some
organically raised onions, carrots, parsnips and potatoes into my soup pot
with some organically raised chicken and soup stock left overs.  By the
time salad from organic chard, kale, arugula, broccoli and garlic is
prepared and consumed, soup will be ready for lunch. After simmering the
rest of the afternoon, it will be perfect for a light dinner.  Total prep
time - 30 minutes; total gardening time - a couple hours a week.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com