RE: Slow Food

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Slow Food
  • From: Timberland RC&D timrcd@iserv.net
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:28:34 -0500
  • Encoding: 58 TEXT

Some of the folks associated with the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems
Council are trying to get together a local slow food "convivium". I
understand from them that there are a fair number of application
requirements including familiarity with what watershed one is in, etc. I
applaud this! I see very few social-change initiatives that are more
important than the emphasis on eating local food, sharing the experience
with friends, and knowing where and by whom it was grown. I totally agree
with Amanda, the movement seems to have a lot in common with community
gardening.

As far as elitism, obviously there's a certain need for leisure time to
prepare food versus grabbing it at Mickey D's, but that should not render
it inaccessible to most people. (In fact I often wonder how low-income
people without cars have access to fast food with such regularity; I guess
that indicates more of that astute market/location analysis Eric Schlosser
refers to.) Some of those who attended the first Grand Rapids Slow Food
potluck were very low income (although of course that's by U.S./Canada
standards), and it seems that part of the struggle is to be sure healthy
whole foods are within reach of everyone.

Cynthia Price