Re: Slow Food and Food Security

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Slow Food and Food Security
  • From: Keith Addison keith@journeytoforever.org
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:44:07 +0900

Hello Adam

Keith,

It's a good thing, as far as it goes.  When I see members of groups like
"Slow Food" showing up at zoning rallies to save farm land, shopping
exclusively at local farmers markets and making the time to make regular
contributions to their communities food security by volunteering in soup
kitchens and getting involved in community gardening as a way for low income
individuals to get food and build community, then I'll know they're serious.

The foundues made of locally made cheeses on artesan made bread is great, but
unless this is allied with a political movement for structual change in our
food distribution system and the preservation of family farms, it'll just be
a nice life-style fad.
Maybe the US is a bit behind, but it is a political movement for structural change in other countries, particularly in Europe, as the links I posted indicated. It's far from a nice life-style fad there. I won't have anything to do with nice life-style fads - in fact I don't have anything to do with the Slow Food movement, but I wouldn't be talking about them at all if they were merely that. They aren't.

We still have lots of hungry in this country.
More and more all the time. The US has a far higher proportion of people living below the poverty line than any other OECD country. And the income gap widens all the time. More than 30 million poor people, 11.7 million children living in poverty, including 5.1 million in extreme poverty.

And hence too my last comment and link:

http://www.paho.org/English/DPI/100/100feature30.htm
The Faces of Poverty: Malnourished, Hungry and... Obese?

... Much the same issue, really.

They need food distributed to
them as fast as possible. This Sunday I'll be serving food at my local soup
kitchen. Hope people engaged in "Slow Food" also have similar involvements.
As I said, I don't know about the US, nor about New York, but if they aren't doing that sort of work they should be persuaded to, as that's what they're all about.

Best

Keith Addison

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman