Slow Food co-optation

  • Subject: [cg] Slow Food co-optation
  • From: LTanenb50@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:37:46 EST

I've been reading alot of interesting stuff here since I worked with a land
trust in Mass. to design a community garden, and located the CGA site as a
support for them.  My first contribution.....  on slow food........

It's clear from the great back and forth perspectives here that, like many
excellent movements, reforms, and other directions that spring from peoples'
need to "stay human" and maintain control over their lives, that the slow
food movement is part of that larger "revolution" to sustain health, support
farmers, undercut the frightening profit making conglomerates, to rejuvenate
a sustainable humanity.  It's also clear that like everything valuable, there
is a co-optable eyeball on this.  How can profiteers use this for their own
ends?  How do people keepa hold on their movements and further direct them to
benefit the most needy?

It's very neat to see so many important discussions capture these twin issues
so ofter and so clearly.  I'm sending this set of back & forths on to other
groups.   Laurie