Great for potlucks, folks?

  • Subject: [cg] Great for potlucks, folks?
  • From: Steve Smoot steveshome@juno.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:21:01 -0800

Hi Folks,

Recently Spokane Tilth, a local sustainable food and agriculture organization and a chapter of Washington State Tilth, sponsored an "evening to honor our local farmers and gardeners and celebrate the harvest season."

The "Local Harvest Celebration & Potluck Dinner" was billed as a fundraiser for the organization and folks were asked to donate a minimum of $10 per family at the door. But, "no one will be turned away for lack of funds, but please bring some prepared food to share." Participants were encouraged to bring food that was grown or produced within a 100-mile radius of Spokane. The celebration was all about local food.

The local health district must have decided that the participants were "public enemy number 1." Their reaction is probably common across the country these days.

"Spokane Regional Health District is cracking down on potlucks.

Last week, Spokane Tilth ran a small newspaper announcement that it was holding a potluck meal during its harvest celebration. Spokane Tilth promotes sustainable agriculture. Many members are organic farmers. Their lives revolve about being conscientious about what they eat.

But as soon as Health District officials saw the potluck ad in the newspaper, they called Tilth and threatened prosecution if the group went ahead with the potluck. Tilth went ahead with the event — sans food.

According to Health Officer Dr. Kim Thorburn, churches and other organizations can hold potlucks as long as they’re for members only. But if they invite the public, it’s illegal.

Tilth program coordinator Chris Ostrander is not happy with a law banning a community practice that’s thousands of years old. He plans a statewide campaign to “decriminalize community potlucks.”

Steve Smoot