RE: Organizing leadership

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Organizing leadership
  • From: "Jack Hale" jackh@knoxparks.org
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:15:27 -0500

Title: Organizing leadership

Boy, you know how to ask the hard questions.

Your  question leads to several interpretations that would generate very different approaches.  In particular, it could be

-                      You want to have a garden that lots of people would use but that would operate at the whim of your organization

-                      You would like to develop a garden that others would see as belonging to them but that you might assist from time to time.

-                      Somewhere inbetween

In the first case, you want to recruit a lot of people and provide a good experience for them (I call that the “public utility” model).

In the second case, you want to find people who will engage in the development and the management of the garden right from the start.  Your organization would end up with minimal control.  You will have to decide where you want to end up.

To get the whole lowdown on this thinking, get ACGA’s publications, Growing Communities and Cultivating Communities.  You can order them throught the ACGA website – go to Publications. (www.communitygarden.org)

Good luck.

Jack Hale