slow food social politics

  • Subject: [cg] slow food social politics
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:59:21 -0500

While my ego wants to mock the Slow Foodies who pat themselves on the back for eating $13/lb. cheese, I must remind myself to see from my heart, and be thankful they are doing what they do, for in the end we are on the same team. Would I rather they be eating McDonald's?

If my want is to expand the number of people eating and living consciously, who am I to cop an attitude about steps someone is taking in the right direction?

If I want those with abundant means to connect with those with limited means, shall I use anger or compassion when I approach them? If I want a world without social strata extremes, will blame and pity really help?

I believe it is of utmost importance to acknowledge and accept where any person is in their life and this world, and to do so with compassion. It is in this place I find it most feasible, and easier, to manifest connections, understanding, sharing, etc.

Easier said than done; easier done than ignored.

In the end, I believe we all are yearning for a more equitable, more real life than consumer capitalism offers, regardless of where we are on the money spectrum. If so, let us work with how we are all the same, not make judgments about who's different or better.

Humbly,

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810