Slow food social politics and a plea for cloning

  • Subject: [cg] Slow food social politics and a plea for cloning
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:17:38 -0500

Paco,

 And I've been known to buy some expensive pieces of cheese m'self. But
there is a difference between eating and consuming thoughtfully and
conspicuously and trying to do something valuable for others and our
society.

On line at Zabar's (think Fauchon's or Fortnum and Mason's) I can overhear
great discussions on limited production olive oils, cheeses and prosciutto,
smoked salmon to die for, landjaeger made, " by a guy who doesn't even have
electric light in his shop," or the latest supersharp Global Japanese chef's
knife "that looks like something out of Star Wars." I am not making this up.

I have my small string bag of coffee beans, spices,tea and a coupla
bagels... these folks load up their dozens of bags and have the "boy" schlep
them to their idling SUVs because they want to avoid the panhandlers in the
street. The folks who work in the store are very nice,  have medical
benefits and a 401k's because of the prices charged here, but don't kid
yourself that these clients are saving the world.

And yes, the first time I heard about  "Slow Food" was from a lady whose
scarf costs more than the suit I'll be buried in and her shoes were bespoke.
She works for a magazine called the "Nation" and sort of remembered me from
a "social action thing we did some years ago."  As I was in "corporate drag"
and knew how to pick out a mellon, she told me about the "Slow Food"
movement. I said that I'd read that in the "Nation" and mused if they'd ever
cover community gardens that grow heirloom vegetables in lots that used to
be filled with junkies and garbage. Her eyes, as they say, "glazed over."

One of the best community gardeners and composters I know is a big time food
expert on the left coast. And no, I'm not going to "out" him. But he has
feet in both worlds a does them both of them justice.  I cannot think of a
rarer bird. If there is a justifiable pretext for cloning, this guy is it.

In solidarity and "convivium",

Adam Honigman