City Repair?

  • Subject: [cg] City Repair?
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:47:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi, all,

This note just appeared in my email today. I wondered
if ACGA works with this group in Portland, and if
anyone knows about their work. Sounds interesting.
(See the note text at the end of this post).

btw, a brief aside about North Carolina dynamics. The
state runs over 1000 kilometers, 800 miles, east to
west, from the balmy (if hurricane battered) Atlantic
coast to the high Appalachian mountains, from Zone 9
(or 10) to Zone 5 (or 4). Asheville, a small western
Carolina city that nonetheless is biggest in the
mountains, is a progressive enclave where all kinds of
interesting things take root and grow. I'm not sure,
though, what's currently happening there in terms of
community gardening - there was an active program,
MAGIC?, in the past. (yo, Asheville, if anybody's
lurking on this list). Anyway, that progressive
tradition may explain why City Repair is speaking
there.

Hope all are doing well - I'm still cogitating on
those definitions, and did pass Amanda's question on
to the international CG listserv (no reply yet). I've
been working all week helping to install an 'Earth
Quilt', interesting hybrid of garden and art, at a
school in Charlotte's downtown. Under sunny skies,
with temps in the 70s...ah, life in the South! The
artist, Norma Bradley, is based (you guessed it) in
Asheville! Her site is www.earthquilts.com.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC

Here's the info I was sent:

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:18:37 +0000

pass it on!

One night only in Asheville, not to be missed! Join us
for one of the best presentations you'll ever see...

Nationally-awarded 'City Repair' (of Portland, Oregon)
comes to Asheville. Find out about the grassroots
organization that has inspired the whole West Coast to
undertake similar community building initiatives.
Learn about some of the most effective
neighborhood-based work in the country.

City Repair combines architecture, planning,
anthropology, community development, public art,
permaculture, and ecological design in projects that
transform space and transfer power at local levels. By
helping citizens re-imagine and literally rebuild
their own public commons, City Repair establishes the
physical and social foundations for sustainable
culture. For more information open the attachment or
visit www.cityrepair.org.

You'll be really glad you came to this very special
event. Spread the word to everyone else. We invite the
whole town of Asheville to be there!

WHAT

Spectacular evening slideshow presentation and
discussion.

WHO

With City Repair's Founder, Mark Lakeman and City
Repair Co-Director, Jenny Leis.

WHEN

Wednesday, November 12th at 7pm.

WHERE

Sky People Gallery across from Max and Rosie's

(in the central gallery)

51 N. Lexington Avenue

Asheville, NC 28801

Suggested sliding scale donation of $3-$15 at the
door.<