Re: Organic potting mix recipes needed

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Organic potting mix recipes needed
  • From: scolli@columbus.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:59:28 -0500

Your potting mix sounds okay as far as "texture" goes--one of the basic
things you're trying to do is to create an environment for the roots that
both drains well, but will retain water (which the organic elements in your
mix do).  The addition of soil can add smaller particles which aid in cation
exchange (nutrients).  Nutrients get washed out very quickly with with large
particles like perlite, sand and organic matter, and therefore are not
necessarily availble to the roots.  Soil may also contain the micronutrients
needed by plants that are not necessarily a component of commercial
fertilizers, whether organic or otherwise.

My suggestion is that you get a "soil" test for your potting medium, which
can be tested just like garden soil.   There could be a problem with the pH,
and if the pH is way off, the plants may not be able to take up the
nutrients available.  Also, nutrients are constantly being leached out of
container grown plants as they are watered often.  The "soil" test will give
you recommendations on how to amend the potting medium for the crops you are
growing.

We are stardust *million year old carbon* we are golden *caught in the
devil's bargain* and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden .  .  .