Re: Organic potting mix recipes needed

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Organic potting mix recipes needed
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:45:22 EST

What you need to look also is what you are growing - so it's back to the library with you, and to your local agricultural dept. ( in the US they are called Agricultural extension agents) to see what is best, in your climate, for the plants you are growing.

Also, don't be afraid to look at pre-WWII Australian farming manuals, because before the chemical revolution, and the use of chemical insecticides, it was all organic.  Really - what was then known as best farming practices. So a book about Australian farming, and vegetable farming up until the 1930s would be invaluable.

I have been drinking an awful lot of Australian shiraz lately, and I know that the better grape growers there really have to be masters of the soil.  Why don't you take a wine tour, off to Peter Lehman's Estate, for example,  and start talking about soil, and asking those questions instead of getting looped (though that is what I'd do as well.)

Also, there has to be a NSW Australian organic growing organization that you should get in touch with as well.  With organic gardening, the new is helpful, but the old is a wealth of vauluable information.

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] Organic potting mix recipes needed