Re: ACGA Research Priorities

Hey Teva...

The list of ACGA research priorities you saw was probably in the "What Good
is Community Greening?" Monograph that ACGA distributes. The research
priorities were selected in 1990, so might be outdated (I know that research
has been initiated in some of these areas), and is drawn from a longer list
formulated by Mark Francis at UC Davis. I think these questions are useful
for framing basic questions, but there are many other research needs that
have emerged in recent years. I would encourage any researchers you know of
(or anyone interested in doing research in community gardening) to contact a
board member directly to see what the area of greatest need might be
currently.

1. What effect have community greening projects had on property values?

2. How do community greening projects and programs related to city-wide open
space policies and plans?

3. What participatory planning and design approaches and techniques are
being successfully used in greening projects?

4. How is community gardening being used as an individual empowerment tool?

5. What are the best ways to develop constituencies for community greening?

6. How does community greening contribute to building social cohesion?

7. How are community gardens used as a meeting place for different cultural
groups?

8. What is the definition of "community" in community greeing projects?

9. How do national policies and programs influence community greening and
what changes are needed?

10. How does land ownership relate to project permanency?