contaminated soils

I am interested in finding publications and/or information relating to safe
levels of contaminants in soil in gardens being used for community gardens.
In my work as an environmental engineer, I often encounter contaminants in
concentrations above state regulated levels for residential properties, but
are below "background" levels found in urban areas.  These include arsenic,
berrylium, and polynuclear aromatic compounds.  These metals and compounds
are often found at levels which exceed that standards for the ingestion
pathway soil remediation objectives listed in the Illinois EPA's TACO
regulations.  I would like to see some information on acceptable levels of
metals/PNAs in soils in which food crops are to be grown.  In addition, I
would be interested in receiving information on food crops which should not
be grown in urban gardens, since they tend to draw toxins out of the soil.

If you have information on any or all of these subjects, please contact me
via e-mail at my home address:  orion@adash.com.  Elaine Petkovsek