Re: help with a paper

> I am a student at Warren Wilson College in North Carolina who is
> writing a paper on urban gardening for my sustainable agriculture class.
> I have been able to find many amazing sources that discuss the multitude
> of benefits associated with urban community gardens, however I am in
> search of some writing that expresses otherwise.  While I can think of
> many arguements used by opponents of these gardens, I need some credible
> sources.  So if anyone knows of any publications that might help me out,
> I would greatly appreciate your effort. This is an amazing resource. You
> may see me on here again. Thanks so much-Sarah

Sarah - I wrote a community gardening literature review for a planning class
three years ago and I agree it is about impossible to find written
opposition to community gardening.  The problem is opponents aren't reading
and writing about community gardening - they're out making deals and hiring
bulldozers.

Here are a couple references you might find useful, however.  The first, one
you might have already seen, explains some of the conflict with government.
Not the kind in NYC, however.  For an explanation of that, consult campaign
contribution lists.

Jamison, Michael S. 1985.  The joys of gardening: Collectivist and
bureaucratic cultures in conflict.  The Sociological Quarterly 26: 473-490.

The second article, from early 1997, has nothing to do with community
gardening, but it's written by a prominent Marxist Geographer and is a
critique of feel-good, bourgeois urban activism.  It has relevance for some
aspects of the community gardening movement.

Harvey, David, 1997.  The new urbanism and the communitarian trap.  Harvard
Design Magazine (on-line: http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/hdm/harvey.htm)

Good Luck.  Bruce Wittchen