Re: community gardens

Hi Melanie--

I'm not sure our mail is reaching you.  There were a couple of responses on our
list earlier this month:
I copied one from Adam and mine for you here:

1) The Eagle Heights Community Garden is probably  the oldest University run
Community Garden in the states. This garden is my hero:
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/ . These guys should have all kinds of stats,
records and stuff on file because they are beholden to University of Wisconsin
at Madison ( the Unversity owns the land.)

Less pertinent to your query, but information that you should know if you wanna
garden in the good ol' USA.

2) This is an apprenticeship master gardener's program founded at UC Santa Cruz
that was founded by the Babe Ruth of Bio-Intensive French Market Gardening, the
English wildman, Alan Chadwick: http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs/brochure98.html

2a) Websites about Alan Chadwick:
http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/tribtoalchad.html ;
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/orgfarm/permaculture/Alan.Chadwick/ ;

3) Get yourself a comfortable chair, a warm libation, turn on some music and
follow the subject strings in  the archive of the listserve. You'll probably
find more of what you need:

Happy Gardening and researching,
Adam Honigman
from the non-U community garden in Hell's Kitchen, the Clinton Community Garden

Hi Melanie--

UC Davis has had community gardens for apartment residents for years.  I don't
know anything about the administration of the gardens, but here's the closest
link I found: http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/Parks/info-parks.HTM

Best of luck,

PS: This is what I do while avoiding working on my own thesis.  :-D