October 19, 2000
As the current Garden Manager for the Wesley Community Center, I encourage
you to apply for the position as the next manager of the Wesley Garden.
The Wesley Community Center has been serving the residents of Nuestro
Barrio, one of the few long-established Hispanic neighborhoods remaining in
Phoenix, since 1950.
The non-profit Center supports the community by offering services like
child care, ESL education, after school activities, food, clothing, and now
a community garden, to those in need.
Being the Garden Manager at Wesley offers many experiences for growth, and
Iím not just talking about vegetables. In the past year, nearly 300 Spanish
and English speaking students from the neighboring Hererra Elementary
School visited the garden each week to plant, tend and harvest their own
vegetables and flowers. Adult students of the ESL and sewing classes
offered at Wesley also adopted rows and took home fresh, organic vegetables
to share with their families. For most of these individuals, the Wesley
Garden was their first gardening experience. With the garden expanding,
there will be even more opportunities for community involvement.
If you have desert, organic gardening experience with knowledge of
irrigation use and installation, enjoy working with both children and
adults, are dedicated and energetic, and would like to supplement your
income while doing something positive for your community, please contact
Betty Mathis, the centerís Executive Director at 602-252-5609.
Being Wesley Community Centerís Garden Manager has been a truly great
experience. I hope you will agree.
WESLEY COMMUNITY CENTER
1300 South 10th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Job Description: Community Garden Manager
1. Plans, manages and maintains the Centerís community and school garden
project to include, at a minimum, two growing seasons.
2. Prepares an annual gardening budget for approval by the Wesley Community
Center (WCC) finance committee.
3. Recruits and supervises all gardening volunteers- some of whom may also
be recruited through the office of the Volunteer Program Manager.
4. With the Facilities Supervisor, arranges and coordinates garden watering
with the assistance of staff and/or volunteers.
5. Maintains required statistical and reporting data, including, but not
limited to: number of students/community adults and hours working in the
garden,distribution of produce, list of all volunteers working in the
garden; etc.(All volunteers are registered with the Volunteer Program Manager).
6. Sustains all working relationships with the community, church agencies,
local and state entities.
7. Participates as an integral member of the Wesley Community Center staff.
8. Understands and appreciates all community and partnership relationships
with which WCC participates.
9. Attends all WCC staff meetings
10. Establishes and coordinates all appropriate garden partnerships.
11. Performs other duties as required by the Executive Director.
Position Time and Salary
ē Part time/salary; 10 hours per week. Flexible schedule depending upon
ē No vacation time or other benefits, according to agencyís personnel policies.
Urban Horticulture/Master Gardener programs
602-470-8086 Ext. 308
Have a wonderful day!!
~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A ~U of A
~U of A ~U of A ~
community_garden maillist - firstname.lastname@example.org