Re: Fencing vs. quality of life

I would like responses from anyone regarding fencing of community
gardens.  I visited the Clinton Community Garden site in Hell's Kitchen,
NYC, a site in Albany, NY, a site in Portland, OR,  and Denver, COL.
Virtually everyone of their sites are fenced, are tended by  members of
the community, and are productive.  Our site here in Belltown in Seattle
is not fenced at all, and after six years of theft, vandalism, drug
dealing, prostitution trickturning, and threats to life and limb, we
have decided that we would like a fence.  I am, therefore, gathering
information from community gardens around the country as to what kind of
fencing they  use, if indeed they do,  how it was acquired, and how
effective it is.  We would like to gate as well, at least during the
growing season, but would still like to leave the garden visually
attainable by the community.  The opposition is that if we fence, the
community will feel that we are elitist.  Most of us gardeners at this
P-Patch do not believe that the community would be offended if we fenced
off the garden, especially if access was allowed to the community
members during hours of daylight.  At the moment, the area is unable to
be closed off at night, which is when most of the nefarious activity
occurs, and when the folks that inhabit the garden use it for a
campground, and a latrine.  I would appreciate input from any community
garden anywhere regarding fencing and other safety and emotional
security measures.

Katherine Y Ness