Re: A New Gardening Idea

  • Subject: Re: [cg] A New Gardening Idea
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:00:39 -0400

>Ok, Ok, Doreen,

We actually do dahlias here in South Philly and don't usually have to
dig them partially because we have to mulch everything in life under
our gardening license. That is not to say that we pinch the life out
of them to enter in the Harvest Show. We've actually won ribbons for
some of them and almost always use them in our 'floral bounty'

And our roses are still flowering. We just don't do tea roses much
because they get diseases forever. 'Betty Prior' Blooms from early
spring til December sometimes. You will have to prune it, however.
Lying catalogs say it gets 3 ft. tall, but not if you leave it alone.
Ours is like 6 ft tall at the moment.

However, people also do cannas which looked terrific at the 25th
anniversary bash on Saturday. Our zinnias and marigolds always look
great at this time of year. So does our burning bush, and I'm
especially fond of pinepple sage which is at its floriferous best
just about now.

Sedums are great, too. Forestfarm has a list that goes on forever.
(We've won ribbons for ours.) Asters are lovely (We got a certificate
of merit for ours, but I did have wash the mildew off the leaves for
the entry.)

I have a ton of monkshood in the yard that's just about to flower. If
you don't mind digging it up (or just pulling it) when it begins
taking over the universe, it's tall and wonderful and is good in
vases, too. Of course, it is poisonous in all parts; so gardens with
untrained kiddies might want to skip it. Fall clematis is nice, but
tends to reseed and take over small universes.

You can also plant sunflowers in late July for fall bloom. There are
so many around these days that it might even be worth having a
special space for them.

Of course, we mostly have vegetables and the flowers are a lovely
extra, especially for the bees.

There's lots lots more.

				Philadelphia, PA

                        USDA zone 7A    Sunset zone 32