Re: A New Gardening Idea

  • Subject: Re: [cg] A New Gardening Idea
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:55:51 -0400

Adam wrote a really good idea about creating visual interest for our gardens
in the fall, but then he said:

> where I am in NYC, I do it with Dahlias and mumms,

Now, normally, I am so much in lockstep with Adam's views that you'd think I
lived in NYC, too, but here, I just have to draw the line because:

I HATE mums!  And dahlias are nice, but they are just too much work, what
with digging up the bulbs, and all.  Plus, I'm intimidated by all the
amazing dinner-plate dahlia growers who exhibit at the Philadelphia Flower
Show -- gosh, those folks are just amazing.  "Best in Show" went to a lady
who entered an entire WINDOWBOX filled with absolutely perfect dahlias.  It
was *fabulous* beyond words. I actually felt unworthy with my little basket
of 16 garlic varieties.  If Sally has a picture, she should post it -- it
was beyond anything I've ever seen and the dahlia entries are always top-notch.

>Perhaps some of our larger botanic gardens can get on the bandwagon

Please, please, please -- someone(s) with great botanical knowledge jump in
here and suggest some other plants for fall viewing interest.  It's a great
idea, but I just can't stomach mums all over my cg!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of