RE: Butterfly mineral lick

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Butterfly mineral lick
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:00:13 -0400

Hi, John!

>This is a butterfly attractant.

Good heavens -- I think putting it together would attract the neighborhood!
Can't see getting the little kids to mix this stuff together -- their
parents would drink it down before we could attract any butterflies!  Might
be nice to mix it up beforehand and let the kids put up the sponges.

Anyone do the more traditional mineral lick?

>1 quart beer
>1 tablespoon rum
>1 slice brown bread
>1 pound brown sugar
>1 tablespoon honey
>1 apple (cut into small pieces and dried)
>Mix ingredients together and let stand 12-24 hours.  To set out bait, take
>pieces of sponge 3 inches by 3 inches and soak them in the solution.  Then
>tie them with string to trees or post.
>Good luck,
>John Herndon
>Community Garden Coordinator