Pumpkin Patch

  • Subject: [cg] Pumpkin Patch
  • From: "Jon Rowley" <rowley@nwlink.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:00:14 -0700

Good idea.  Kids get excited about pumpkins.
We mulched a large invasive weed area outside our garden last winter and then planted a kid's pumpkin patch there this  past summer.  We selected a variety called Howden which did very well for us.  The Territorial Seed catalog says they run 10-15 lbs; very few were that small. Looks like we will end up with about 90 nice pumpkins.  A couple will likely weigh 50 lbs.  Kids are signing up for their pumpkin now.  This Saturday we'll number all the pumpkins; kids who signed up for a pumpkin will draw a number and then go to the patch to find the pumpklin with the number they drew. Then there is pumpkin carving, pumpkin seed roasting, a cider squeeze, making scarecrows, harvest potluck/BBQ and so on.
Here is the Howden description from the Territorial catalog:
"This variety is the traditional old-time Halloween favorite. Very high yields of 10-15 pound, intensely bright orange pumpkins with defined ribs and strong handles for jack-o-lanterns. Large spreading 10 foot vines produce 4-6 carving pumpkins per plant. Roast the seeds for an outstanding snack. "
Good luck on your pumpkin patch,
Jon Rowley
Site Coordinator
Interbay P-Patch Community Garden
We are planning to plant a pumpkin patch next spring to provide pumpkins to area children for a Halloween pumpkin carving/painting party.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a "best" variety pumpkin for this project?  What secrets are there for growing the huge pumpkins for contests?  Any hints from those who have done this kind of thing before?  We are in central Wisconsin.
Len Sheard
Iola Community Garden