Re: Stomp out 98 disaster

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Stomp out 98 disaster
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:28:55 -0500
Hi Gwenne,

It might be a good idea to find out exactly what was sprayed & at how high
a concentration. Could you find the container?

The 3 chems you mentioned have different formulations, differ in virulence
& more importantly in persistence as well.

The least virulent- Wipe out, is very similar to a combination used here in
Canada on wheat & barley at a concentration of about  half a litre (quart)
per acre. You should be able to plant a cover crop of rye now & garden
there normally next year except for really susceptible stuff like carrots,
peas & melons.

The other two act as soil sterilants for protracted periods & are normally
used in tank farms or rail yards where you dont want anything ever to grow
again. You really should find out  what you are dealing with here.... I've
included some URLs below for your research.

Your larger issue, is not the label on the chemical bag/jar, but with the
spray jockey who feels he has license to spray wherever he wants- maybe
this garden site is not viable long or short-term?

Wipe out info:  http://www.riponcomputer.com/dawnchemical/productinfo/product211.htm

Barren info:  http://www.elsproducts.com/aerosolpdwk.html

Stomp info: http://www.nrrbs.com.au/chemicalstomp.htm

Key to trade names: http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/herbicide_list_.htm