Re: Plants for community garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Plants for community garden
  • From: budge@magicaldesk.com
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:30:51 +0800

Title: Re: [cg] Plants for †community garden
I emailed my Dad and asked him, and this is his reply -

Can do it late fall I think but early spring like most other stuff is
best. doubt you'll get anything off of 'em the first year. The
established ones are the ones that have berries. They need to be trimmed
early spring and we always run a string down each side to hold 'em up
(actually a low string and a high string) makes it a lot easier to take
care of 'em and pick 'em.

As we got all of our canes off of my Grandma's canes, yes, you can. Time of year should be ok. My Grandma has rose bushes that she grew from roses my Grandpa gave her, so I suppose if you had some rooting compound you could take a section of cane and do it that way, although that seems rather the hard way to me. My experience with raspberries is that, once established, they have a tendency to head for the hills so to speak, so there's always plenty for giving away!

Good luck with it and I'll be dying to hear how they do!

tamsin@sparecreative.com wrote on 10/2/2002
It will be interesting to see how raspberries grow here, it is probably getting a little late to plant them (weíve just begun the second month of spring) but we will give it a go on a small scale. I think Iíll see if the local organic gardening mob have any advice for our local area, I know a friendís mum grows a tasty few on the outskirts of Melbourne (where it gets a few degrees colder). Is there a way of possibly dividing any of her canes or taking cuttings or is it too late or just not done? (Raspberries fruit on wood grown the year before????) All this talk of raspberries and it is the season to be eating them for most of the readers of this list no doubt? - Iíll have to stick with a pot of jam until our raspberries fruit in 6 months time (all being well).