Great gardening info from everyone....

  • Subject: [cg] Great gardening info from everyone....
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:31:33 -0700

I want to let everyone know that with all of the recent Q & A about
gardening has been wonderful. This server is always great but I guess the
scientist in me enjoys all this talk about dirt.  Very useful information.
Hats off to everyone!

I do have a question. I am looking at a piece of land that is very, very,
very, high in akaline. My thoughts are that we could utilize this property
by gardening in raised beds that would be deep enough to acommendate root
growth where we would have to bring soil into the project. This soil is so
akaline that approximately twice a year a local farmer gives it the once
over to knock down the few weeds that seem to pop up. After he does this,
with-in a month or two, you can begin to see the salts accumulate on the
surface and it becomes crusted over.

Any thoughts or comments on the idea of using this land would be greatly