RE: Great gardening info from everyone....

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Great gardening info from everyone....
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:46:12 -0400

Deborah,

I know that you've soil tested the super alkaline land that your're
interested in placing raised beds on to grow. The massive composting project
that you're about to start to help reclaim this property will astonish  all
of us as the 7th wonder of the world
, I'm sure. ;=)

In all seriousness, bless your energy! The master gardeners on this list
will undoubtedly share their recipes with you. Here are some sites that may
amuse...

All joking aside: Here's an interesting piece from the Chinese People's
Daily about agriculture on alkaline land. Evidentally there is a  "Dongying
Alkaline-Tolerant Botanical Garden" in Dongying, a city in Shandong Province
at the mouth of the Yellow River. How accurate this report is is, anyone's
guess ( I guess those pictures of a swimming Mao that were circulated a few
weeks before his death still have me a little skeptical.)

http://www.peopledaily.ac.cn/english/200001/08/eng20000108T102.html

Here's a piece on World Bank reclaimation of high PH land in Uttar Pradesh.
I know this is "better living through chemistry" but I just throwing this
into the mix, anyway:

http://www.worldbank.org/html/extdr/extme/2042.htm

More from India:
http://www.niamonline.com/greening.htm