NYC gardens

  • Subject: [cg] NYC gardens
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:07:16 -0400

When the T.V. stations were surveying the country about what the memorial at
the World Trade Center site should be, I thought that it should be a statute
of an Indian with a handful of beads with a sign engraved that says, "What
goes around comes around."  When the World Trade Center was built, thousands
of families lost their homes.

Surrounding the statute I envision, the entire area that was taken from the
neighborhoods of NYC back in the late 1960's and early 1970's should be
turned into a couple of three story buildings for the homeless surrounded by
gardens.  It should be a place of peaceful work not another ugly skyscraper
that denies our affinity for the land.  The former mayor of New York was
taking the gardens that the poor and young people had reclaimed from
abandoned lots for selling to the highest bidder according to Mother Jones
Magazine.  I salute the Lower East Side Artists!

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.