RE: planning for more gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] planning for more gardens
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@pennhort.org
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:19:43 -0400

In Cuba, prompted by a dramatic economic and food crisis, 350,000 community-based food growing projects have emerged (some quite tiny, but none the less). This is of an estimated population of 11 million. garden:people = 1:31

(That evil-doing, freedom-hating Fidel has done awful things like set up 250 education centers where people can learn to grow and process food... organically).

In Philly we estimate 400-600 community gardens.
If we had the same per capita ratio of people to garden as Cuba does, there'd be 20,000 gardens!

In the US, if we had the same per capita ratio of people to garden as Cuba does...
8,064,516 community gardens!!

Bear in mind, escaping starvation was their motivation. Literally.

It's a good thing that we're building particle board homes on our farm land and importing a significant percent of our food. Home land security?...

The thing I work on growing most these days is compassion for our folly.

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810