RE: planning for more gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] planning for more gardens
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:17:19 -0400

Bill,

Wow, what a bunch of loaded questions.

There are about 838 community gardens in NYC (more or less - soon to be
less.) The last time I looked, the population was slightly more than eight
million. So that's one community garden per 9,546.53 in a city where there
is, in aggregate 6.2 acres of parkland per 1,000 residents (however, many
low income neighborhoods, and neighborhoods of color average 2.5 acres -
mostly blacktop baskeball courts- per 1,000 residents.)  The national
average is 8 acres of parkland per 1,000 residents.

Here are more figures from the Trust for Public Land:

http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=6120&folder_id=631

Key to "how many community gardens should a community have" is "how many
community gardens are citizens willing to spend their time working in and
supporting."

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman