Re: planning for more gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] planning for more gardens
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:13:09 -0700

Bill,

Good luck in your endeavors. If you can become a part of their "group" and
you feel you can deal with the process go for it!

In the City of Ventura we have been going through this process too. I guess
governments find that this is the fashionable way to review their
comprehensive plan and to get "input" from the citizens so it "feels" like
we are apart of it.

First we had a "Visioning process" and now a panel of 19 community members
are a part of the CPAC (Comprehensive Plan Advisory Community) which has
been meeting for the last year. There duties will be to report to our city
council on the changes they feel are necessary (not that the city council
will do anything about it). I have been lucky enough to attend all of these
meetings (only because we were taping them for TV) and have seen the story
unfold. I have also been lucky enough to hear the behind the scenes talk
too. I guess they think that if someone is running audio cables we can not
hear what is being discussed in the room (or it might just be arrogance
too).

Our individual that represents the "environment" and "greening groups"
(never seen him anywhere else in the community, hmmm) doesn't even give me
the time of day even though I have the reputation as our community gardening
activist.I was never asked to be a part of this committee. I wonder why?

Anyway, I did finally get to have at least two sentences put into their
report. Of course my original submission was based off of Seattle's stats
but this is what we ended up getting:

One was under the heading of :
Land Use and Community Character:

"The positive image of the city as a whole also depends on preserving
natural features in and surrounding Ventura. The need to establish more
community gardens and small parks, preserve hillsides, protect he ocean and
beaches, and beautify entrances to the city are among the key actions
identified by city residents as essential to improving quality of life for
residents and visitors."

The other was under the heading of Environmental Resources:

"Open Space"  additional community gardens.

I know it is not much and I hope you can make more happen in your community.
Keep us posted.

Deborah

PS How I even got this in the report was through the community member that
represents the Chamber of Commerce (fondly referred to as the Chamber of
Concrete). Get that one!

> As most of us know Seattle leads the national in planning for Community
> Grdens 1 CG for every 2,500 persons.... I looked in to this in
Sacramento...