Columbia, SC Community Garden Project

  • Subject: [cg] Columbia, SC Community Garden Project
  • From: Samuel Feinson SFeinson03@cityyear.org
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:50:12 -0400

Title: Columbia, SC Community Garden Project

I'm a member of the Columbia, SC chapter of City Year.  While our primary focus is on education and service learning with youth, we work on a host of other service projects each year.  One of the legacy projects we'd like to start this year is the creation of a community garden in an economically depressed area of the city.  While we have connections to potential sponsors, the largest obstacles in our project will be finding individuals or organizations to help plan the garden and help teach gardening courses there.  Could anyone on this list help me by suggesting local/regional contacts that might be able to help us?

As far as specifics, City Year is a program involving 17 to 24 year olds, doing a wide variety of service, centered around children.  Some of us teach a character education and citizenship program to elementary school students, others lead a service learning program in middle schools, one team creates and presents seminars and classes on public health issues, and we all take part in general community service ranging from helping in set-up for community events to assisting preschoolers with computers.  I'm a member of the Civic Engagement team, which is involved with recruitment, planning service events, and coordinating volunteers and sponsors.  While we're still in the planning stages with this project, we'd like the community garden to be an ongoing project for the Civic Engagement team as well as the entire Columbia corps.

Any help or suggestions that you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Yours in service,

Sam Feinson
Civic Engagement Team
City Year Columbia