RE: Columbia, SC Community Garden Project

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Columbia, SC Community Garden Project
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:24:23 -0400

Title: Columbia, SC Community Garden Project
Some really fast suggestions, Sam:

1) Set an evening aside at your computer. Make a pot of coffee ( or whatever adult beverage you drink) fill your printer with paper and read everything on the American Community Gardening Association web page and links. Seriously, the amount of free content on this page is scandalous http://www.communitygarden.org .

2) Make yourself another pot of coffee, etc, etc. and go to the community garden archive of Mallorn.com ( the ACGA list serve) which has discussions on every CG topic under the sun:

3) After all of this, you should have even more questions. Send these this listserve and to the community gardens in your area that might have  regional insight and leads on possible horticultural assests you might be able to access:

4) Outside of screening your group leaders for criminal records and reported instances of pedophilia ( sigh - it's a sad world), for sustainability sake, I think you should have some public meetings in which neighbors, project participants and local organizations ( churches, the staffers of local politicians, the cops, schools) can learn about your project and possibly buy into it at the grassroots level.  It is helpful to try to judge the potential level of support  before you sink too much dough into a project.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden, NYC