Re: Question about natural control of aphids

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Question about natural control of aphids
  • From: budge@magicaldesk.com
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:05:46 +0800

Ladybugs are one of the natural predators of aphids as are a type of wingless wasp that they installed at the indoor gardens at Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America. I know that there is a booming business in ladybugs in California because there is a big wintering spot for the ladybugs there and I saw it on one of the gardening shows recently.

When I was a kid, my mom's roses got aphids and a nice big garden spider moved in. Dad took us all out, showed us the spider and said that if anything happened to the spider, we would all be grounded! He had the same thing for praying mantis and garden snakes. . . ;-)

Pamela

previer@dnai.com wrote on 10/28/2002
We have a small organic community garden plot in Berkeley, California. Lately we have been experiencing ever-increasing numbers of aphids which are doing considerable damage to our winter greens. We've tried spraying them off with a high-pressure nozzle, hand-picking them, and just recently, applying a mild soap solution. Can anyone recommend any other successful strategies for dealing with these critters, or ways of maintaining our plot that will make it less desirable for them to inhabit?

Thank you!

Paul Revier