"Make A Difference Day 2002" 500 word description

  • Subject: [cg] "Make A Difference Day 2002" 500 word description
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:43:29 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Here's what we did with our Saturday. In April, USA Weekend used one of our photos from last year's "Make A Difference Day" to promote this year's event. Maybe they will feature us again.

Speaking of featuring folks, anyone catch Adam's quotes in the latest issue of OG on "Guerilla Gardening"?

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

"Make A Difference Day 2002"
at St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden
Phoenixville, PA

St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden provides free garden plots to anyone who agrees to garden organically and make the Biblical Tithe (10%) of their harvest to someone less fortunate. The garden is the primary source of in-season fresh produce for Phoenixville Area Community Services' (PACS) food bank and is an heirloom/rare/native plant repository for Seed Savers Exchange.

"Make a Difference Day," after the fall harvest, is the perfect day to ask folks to help us help our gardeners so that they can feed the hungry in Phoenixville during the growing season. This year, we focused on creating a new 50 foot square formal herb garden and digging a water line so that our gardeners can water more efficiently during droughts.

We offered six work stations ranging from great effort (clearing brush and digging a water line) to medium effort (preparing the ground for the new herb garden and planting perennials) to little effort (weeding our fruit, flower and herb gardens) to encourage as many folks to visit the garden as possible.

To encourage volunteers to talk to each other, regardless of their "work station," and to add a natural (and necessary, considering the work we ask folks to do!) break to the day, we asked local businesses to donate lunch and other necessities. Our sponsors included:

Exterior Structures, Unlimited: wheelbarrows and tools
Sear's Hardware: gardening gloves
TD Alfredo's Pizzeria: 10 large pizzas
Papa John's Pizza: 10 large pizzas
Kimberton Whole Foods: natural sodas
Panera Bakery: breads and pastries

64 people, ranging in age from 4 to 74 years old and of all local ethnic groups, joined our gardeners for the day, including the following organizations:

Mitchell (community garden) Program of St. Gabriel's Hall (juvenile hall)
Chester County Juvenile Probation Department -- Community Service Project
Abbe Society, West Chester University
Junior Girl Scout Troop 445
Cub Scout Pack 98

Next year, our new herb garden will rise where before there was only trash and weeds. The new water line will help our gardeners water their plants more efficiently during droughts. But more immediately, these very different groups, from very different walks of life, have enjoyed coming together for a common purpose so much that our Spring and Fall Work Days are now permanent fixtures on their calendars.

We're making a difference in Phoenixville - on "Make A Difference Day" and throughout the year by feeding the hungry, building community and creating floral beauty from formerly empty, abandoned space.