starting out

  • Subject: [cg] starting out
  • From: "Peter Ogle" peterogle@qwest.net
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:47:46 -0800

I am president of a small nonprofit in Corvallis, OR, that intends to start a community garden in the front yard of a duplex owned by the nonprofit in a low-income neighborhood. We want our property to be a community resource, and a means of connecting with our neighbors. The garden area is fenced, has water, and I've already put in raised beds. I'm looking for advice from anyone who might be working on an equally small scale (5 beds x 24-feet long). What insurance options do we have? Should we charge dues? Are bylaws necessary? Thanks.