cg] Compost creatures

  • Subject: [cg] cg] Compost creatures
  • From: "Jon Rowley" rowley@nwlink.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:59:59 -0800

Does anybody know of any good books/references/guides for the common (and
not so common) life forms found in the garden and compost piles? I have a
slow and a fast compost pile and the number of life forms in the slow pile
is astounding, and I think it would be quite a fun 'get to know the world
around you' thing for kids (and me) to identify some of them and understand
what they do, their life cycles etc.
Tamsin

Tasmin,
All of the suggestions you have received are good ones.  Also the USDA National Resources Conservation Service publishes an excellent well illustrated booklet entitled "Soil Biology Primer" written by Elaine Ingham, Andy Moldenke, and Clive Edwards.  The first printing was free but I believe there is now a charge.  Well worth the money.

Good luck in the bins,
Jon Rowley
Interbay P-Patch
Seattle