home grown mulch

  • Subject: [cg] home grown mulch
  • From: "Nicole Georges-Abeyie" nic_geo_abe@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:31:59 -0500

Do any of you use some of your own crop residues as mulch? --pea straw, garlic stalk, grasses, cover crops.  I don't mean planting into winter-killed growth; I'm wondering about something you'd harvest, dry(?), and lay on a different bed.  If so, how do you best harvest it for the purpose? And any other tricks of the trade.

Also, Does anyone have strong feelings for or against using spoiled hay (intended for livestock feed) as garden mulch? I guess seeds could be a BIG problem.  Are the mold spores detrimental to a garden or its gardeners?

Thanks,
Nicole Lewis
Washington, DC

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. Click Here ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden