Philadelphia Marathon and St. John's Organic Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Philadelphia Marathon and St. John's Organic Community Garden
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:44:13 -0500

Hi, Folks!

It pays to enter contests! I saw on Channel 6 that Citizen's Bank was sponsoring a "Not Your Typical Runner" contest for the Philadelphia Marathon -- write a 150 word essay on why you "aren't a typical runner" and what charity you would like to run for and if you won the contest, your charity gets $100 for every mile you run (plus a bag of runner goodies, the Philly Marathon entry fee paid and a night at the Four Seasons Hotel).

Now, since I'm married to a marathon runner, I thought he should enter and win money for community gardening! :-D

Here's the 148 word essay Frank submitted:

Everyone talks about how important carbohydrates are to running, but since I met my wife and starting eating the vegetables and herbs she raises at St. John's Organic Community Garden, I've run a PR of 2:48:28 at the 2001 Boston Marathon and have hovered around that time ever since. Two years ago, I lived on bread and cereal; now my meals contain at least four vegetables and two herbs and even at 45, I'm running better and faster. Besides eating the vegetables, I enjoy helping my wife harvest them for our local food bank and spending time with the other gardeners who wouldn't have a place to grow food without the community garden. I'd like to run the Philadelphia Marathon for the St. John's Organic Community Garden so that our food bank recipients will always have the fresh vegetables they need to achieve PRs in their own lives.

Well, Citizen's Bank called him today and said that while he didn't win, they were so impressed with his entry that they want to do a special PR piece on him/the community garden "with possibly some money for your charity" -- details to be worked out.

So, writing up that essay is paying off for the community garden! Stay tuned in the next week or so when Citizen's Bank contacts Frank with the details! (And give us ideas on how to make a SE PA community garden that has gone from drought to rain to winter in one month look nice for the cameras in November!)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of