Re: Interpreting Soil Tests

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Interpreting Soil Tests
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:45:26 EDT

The Canadian standards, in all frankness, are better than the US's because their process is more honest and less politically manipulated.  While not perfect, I would accept Canadian national standards for heavy metals, etc, as being a good guideline for community gardeners.

That said, here are some local contacts that may be helpful for you in your knowledge search:

I. First, to keep you from re-inventing the wheel, I'd contact your local Utah State agricultural extension:

Utah Ag Extension

The Salt Lake contact numbers are:

Contact Information:
2001 South State Street #1200
Salt Lake City, UT

County Website:

Information via Utah Reach

II. The director of Utah's Organic Agriculture Program is listed below. I believe specific queries on soil testing and standards are best made to these folks in your area.  If you have never been involved in soil testing, there is a learning curve, and talking to reputable experts is well worth your time.

Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
Organic Food Program Coordinator
Seth Winterton
Box 146500