Interpreting Soil Tests

  • Subject: [cg] Interpreting Soil Tests
  • From: "Brian Emerson" outreach@xmission.com
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:31:51 -0600

Hello.  My name is Brian Emerson.  I have recently been hired as the
Community Garden Outreach Coordinator for Wasatch Community Gardens in
 Salt Lake City.

Each time I've worked with community members as they worked on starting
their own community gardens a question has emerged in my head.  Where
can I find a chart listing the US Agricultural Soil Standards for
contaminants (heavy metals, pesticides, etc.), so that I can interpret
the soil test results more easily?

My search has thus far given me the "Canada and Quebec Agricultural Soil
Standards" chart, and a number of publication regarding Lead in soil
from various Extension Offices throughout the states.  However, I have
 found no comprehensive chart with normal and/or dangerous levels of
 common soil contaminant for the U.S.

The Canadian/Quebec chart is good but I was hoping to find a U.S.
equivalent to aid me in my interpretation of soil test results.   I
realize that the Extension service is available for this task but I'd
like to be able to do it myself.

 If anyone has a suggestion on where I might find such a chart/document
I'd find it exceptionally helpful.

 Respectfully,

 Brian Emerson
Community Garden Outreach Coordinator
 Wasatch Community Gardens
 345 East 400 South
 S.L.C. UT 84111
 outreach@wasatchgardens.org
 www.wasatchgardens.org
 801-359-2658

"Here is the true meaning and value of compassion and nonviolence, when
 it helps us to see the enemy's point of view, to hear [their] questions,
 to know [their] assessment of ourselves. For from [their] view we may
indeed see the basic weakness of our own condition, and if we are
 mature, we may learn and grow and profit from the wisdom of the [sisters
and] brothers who are called the opposition." --M.L.K. Jr.