The Pursuit of Happiness

  • Subject: [cg] The Pursuit of Happiness
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:29:41 EDT

Friends,

This was forwarded to me by David Lutz of the Neighborhood Open Space Coalition - a NYC based coaltion of  open space, greenway and community garden advocates.  A sweet thought for a cool Wednesday afternoon:

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

“THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS”

Several years ago, in a meeting room in Brooklyn, a former mayor of Bogotá Columbia described his tough choices with limited budgets. “I could pave or fix roads or I could build parks and greenways.” Fixing roads, he noted, would stop a few complainers, but adding to green space would make people happy. He chose assisting in the “pursuit of happiness.” Sometimes a stranger to a place can see its assets, dilemmas and opportunities more accurately than a person who lives with them daily. Mayor Pena, in the United States as a visiting scholar, touched a raw nerve in an era of shrinking park budgets and threats to the federal transportation program funding that is making much of the greenway system possible.