FW: FW: community garden training

  • Subject: FW: [cg] FW: community garden training
  • From: "Dawson, Teva L." TLDawson@dmgov.org
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:11:17 -0600

To illustrate concepts of garden planning such as leaving enough space for vegetables to grow, square foot gardening, crop rotation, vegetables to trellis, etc... we would get sheets of paper and cut them to the approx. square size that crop would grow to be.  We would put a picture and name of that crop on the piece of paper.  A sheet for tomatoes plant would be approx. 2' x 2', cucumbers 4' x 4', carrots 12 plants in a foot, etc..  Each sheet would be color coded to show similar families of crops to illustrate crop rotation.  I've found that trying to get folks to graph out their garden means nothing as showing them how big their little pumpkin seed is going to grow to be.  We found this to be very helpful.

Teva Dawson
Community Garden Coordinator
Des Moines Botanical Center
909 East River Drive
Des Moines, IA 50316
Phone: 515/323-8907
Fax: 515/323-8999
Des Moines Community Gardening Coalition is a program of the Des Moines Parks Department, that supports grass-roots community greening projects by working with community-based organizations such as schools, low-income housing providers and neighborhood associations giving them the training and resources necessary to build sustainable community greening projects that educate people, beautify communities, increase food security, improve nutritional health, and build relationships among people.