advice please re paying a stipend to a gardener

  • Subject: [cg] advice please re paying a stipend to a gardener
  • From: "Jude Carson" <cleobar@nbnet.nb.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:45:59 -0300

Our garden has 100 plots and most of the people who garden go about their own business and do not help with communal jobs. This is despite people agreeing to help, signing up, etc. We have one gardener who has done most of the important routine tasks, like setting up and maintaining our water system, mowing common paths and areas, and dealing with any labour-intensive issue that arises. We would be lost without him but feel he is being taken for granted. Here's where the advice is needed: we would like to pay him a stipend, honorarium, whatever you want to call it, of maybe a couple of hundred dollars per season that he does this work. He knows nothing about this idea. The money's not a lot but at least it would recognise his importance to the continuance of the garden. We also have a significant amount in our budget so would not be adversely affecting the garden's financial situation. Appreciate any feedback; the committee has a meeting tomorrow(Thuirsday) night.

Jude Carson
Saint John, Canada