Re: advice please re paying a stipend to a gardener

I am currently dealing with a similar issue with one of the community gardens in Cleveland (similar though very different).  Another large garden here does pay someone.  He helps maintain some of the school property also on which the garden lies.  Actually, it's also a security issue because the garden is so large (over 100 plots and about 2 - 4 acres) and one time somebody fainted in the garden and no one knew - they needed medical help but it took a while to get it there.  So, it just works better for them to pay a person.

The other site has a few dedicated volunteers ( a site committee) who do a lot but also, every plot MUST contribute 10 hours of community time.  If they don't do it in the next few weeks they are called and expected to come to garden clean up day, the last day of October.  It takes time for the Garden Leader to make phone calls but it works.  If they don't do their community time they don't get a plot next year.

- Best of Luck, Lynn