Re: advice please re paying a stipend to a gardener

  • Subject: Re: [cg] advice please re paying a stipend to a gardener
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

There is a big difference between recognizing people who do work above and beyond the call of duty for the benefit of all and paying people to do work.  The former can be inspiring and heartwarming.  The latter can lead people to think that they need not work unless they get paid.  If you pay the guy who does the bulk of the work, you encourage the kind of entrenched leadership which was the subject of an exchange of emails a couple of weeks ago.  My opinion would be to offer all kinds of recognition and praise and maybe a flashy gift, but do everything you can to avoid having it look like you are compensating him for the work he is doing.  If you are going to compensate people for work, you should let people know that you intend to do that and then allow people to apply for the job.

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation
75 Laurel Street