Wish I'd seen Clinton Gardens!

  • Subject: [cg] Wish I'd seen Clinton Gardens!
  • From: Carola Clasen gardenways@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:43:08 -0700 (PDT)

I just read Adam's message about the Clinton Community
Garden in NYC. It lifted my spirits.
I just returned to California from a few days in NYC.
The thing I looked forward to the most was visiting
community gardens there, but, because I was there with
three other people (non-gardeners), I had only one
afternoon to fit them in.
It was very disappointing.  Liz Christy was closed due
to construction (not their fault, of course) so we
walked a few blocks to 6th and AVE. B. I was so
excited when I saw the eclectic tower and realized
this was a garden I'd read about in "People with Dirty
Hands!"  BUT, it too was closed. There were a few
people inside (and two wonderful parrots), but when I
called out to them I was first ignored and then told,
from a distance, that "when the gates are closed,
we're closed."  They wouldn't even come close enough
for me to explain that I was an inner-city
community/school gardener from California. I felt like
crying. I banged my head on the gate a few times, then
took photos through the fence.
It left me with a negative feeling about the NYC
gardeners, though still admiring the gardens.
Adam's message took some of the bad taste away... I
just chose the wrong gardens.
Next time!
Carola Clasen
Long Beach, California