RE: Role of Gardens in Combating Childhood Obesity

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Role of Gardens in Combating Childhood Obesity
  • From: "Tom Dietrich" tdietrich@metroparks.org
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:19:42 -0400

Dear David:

I totally agree with you on training young taste buds.  ON a personal
note,  my son is a testament, has eaten a salad almost every day since
he was 3, and likes it!  IN my work arena, I have been collaborating
with a group called Children's Hunger Alliance out of Columbus, Ohio to
lead a youth garden and nutrition program.  We use gardening curriculum
from many sources, but the nutrition curriculum is based on a program
called "Food Folks."

Our age range is older than yours (elementary school ages), targeting
kids when they can actually start feeding themselves, (which a lot of
them do anyway). But your point about starting earlier before they
develop poor eating habits is quite interesting.  I've heard all of your
taste buds are replaced every 3-6 weeks, so you can retrain them quite
quickly.  It's the socialized eating and buying habits that are more
difficult to influence.  A program like yours, starting kids off in a
healthier direction, seems very proactive and wise.

Youth need good, healthy food choices at school too, so school districts
and the USDA school lunch program seem like important avenues to
influence.  More and more information is becoming available about the
affect healthy lunches have on students' behavior and academic
achievement too.  There's a program in Wisconsin-- its' Appleton Central
Alternative School which has partnered with a bakery called Natural
Ovens to provide healthy, fresh, less processed foods for its students.
They've seen tremendous benefits both behavioral and academic.

Home page:  www.naturalovens.com
Direct link:
http://www.naturalovens.com/Better_Health/Schools/index.php

Here's another link from my quick research:
http://www.healthyschoollunches.org/

I think this is a timely discussion.  I hope to hear more.

Tom

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors
Dayton, Ohio

Today's Topics:

  1. Role of Gardens in Combating Childhood Obesity (David Haskell)

Message: 1
b=dSAU5omflZlpkU5sZbANNAA04hPdjOA/E5Q2ay/OTAAukHj7P4lT1nhZb7XinSF0fBW6mH
PbP7r0eP7+27uIAgShp+OyHze6PIiHUFc/kyKscsNmL3V/XtWQ/LI7XDmL8ZlgPgoZSJeRrI
KpIl02IaVH9zzY0/jhcTw6C1+Mp4w=
;