SOS-SAVE ORGANIC STANDARDS-

  • Subject: [cg] SOS-SAVE ORGANIC STANDARDS-
  • From: Laura Berman laura@foodshare.net
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:01:09 -0400

Hi ACGAers,
I'm forwarding this in the hopes that those of you in the US will take note
and try to save your organic standards.

Read on, and contact your Congress reps ... And don't buy from those
companies that are trying to undermine organic standards!

Laura

 Hello Organic Consumer,

SOS-SAVE ORGANIC STANDARDS-Action Alert Update October 6, 2005

Sneak Attack on Organic Standards in Congress Continues--OCA Needs Your Help

Over the past two weeks Organic Consumers Association (OCA) network members
have bombarded the U.S. Congress with over 100,000 emails and 15,000
telephone calls. Our calls and letters have urged elected public officials
to reject the now discredited Organic Trade Association's "Sneak Attack"
rider to the 2006 Agriculture Appropriations Bill that would seriously
undermine organic standards by removing traditional organic community
control over organic standards and centralizing power in the hands of the
White House-appointed US Department of Agriculture.

OCA's allies such as the Consumers Union, the Center for Food Safety, the
National Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture, the National Coop Grocers
Association, the National Organic Coalition, the Health Freedom network, and
several hundred organic businesses have also generated thousands of emails
and phone calls. Thank you for taking action. This massive grassroots
outpouring prompted the U.S. Senate ten days ago to reject the industry
Sneak Attack rider and propose a 90-day study to determine proper organic
standards on synthetic substances, animal feed, and commercial availability
of organic ingredients.

Unfortunately members of the joint House/Senate Conference Committee on
Agricultural Appropriations still seem to be listening more closely to
powerful industry lobbyists representing Kraft/Phillip Morris, Dean
Foods/Horizon Organic/Whitewave, Dole, Smucker/Knudson's, General
Mills/Small Planet, Danone/Stonyfield, Aurora Organic, Whole Foods, Wild
Oats, and the Grocery Manufacturers of America (Wal-Mart and the supermarket
chains), than they are to us. And because this is a last minute, back door
Sneak Attack, most of the media, and even most organic consumers, are not
yet aware of what's happening.

We have no choice but to move quickly and raise the volume of our protest,
double the number of letters and phone calls pouring into Congress, and
aggressively take our message to the media. In 1998, 2003, and 2004 OCA and
the organic community successfully mobilized and beat back similar attempts
to degrade organic standards. Unfortunately this Sneak Attack is an "inside
job," organized and funded by powerful pseudo-organic food processors and
supermarket chains who have seized control of the Organic Trade Association,
hired powerful lobbyists who usually represent big Pharma, tobacco,
supermarket chains, and liquor interests, and are moving in for the "big
fix."

We need more letters, and we need money now, to lobby Congress and to take
our message to the media. Please forward this Action Alert to everyone you
know who is concerned about preserving strict organic standards and organic
community control over these standards. If you haven't already, please click
here to send a letter to your members of Congress
http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm And please click here to send OCA a
tax-deductible donation so we can continue to defend the integrity of
organic standards. http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Time is running out. We must stop this Sneak Attack in Congress and beat
back this unfriendly takeover of the organic industry. For the sake of the
Earth and the health of the People, please Take Action Now!

Ronnie Cummins, Co-Founder and National Director, Organic Consumers
Association

__________________________________

DONATE TO THE OCA

http://www.organicconsumers.org/donations.htm

Please forward this publication to family and friends, place it on websites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

Help others learn about food safety, organics, and related topics. Place a
link on YOUR website to http://OrganicConsumers.org Banners for your use -
http://OrganicConsumers.org/logos.htm

ORGANIC CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION
6771 South Silver Hill Drive
Finland, MN 55603
Phone: (218)-353-7454 Fax: (218) 353-7652